Family Programs
(Youth + Adult)

Are you looking for a way to spend quality one-on-one time with a child in your life? Share a unique intergenerational learning experience at the Arboretum! Specially designed for adults together with children, these programs cover a range of topics and activities that will be a fun learning experience for everyone.


 

Corn is Everywhere

Saturday, Sept. 11, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 12, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 

Explore the Arboretum's Farm at the Arb to learn more about corn and how it impacts our everyday life! Visitors to this family-friendly festival can:

  • go on a corn scavenger hunt
  • taste free food samples
  • learn about the complete growing and harvesting process
  • practice corn husking skills
  • participate in corn hole olympics
  • thank a farmer
  • & much more!
Minnesota is home to 24,000 corn growers, and the corn they grow is used in everything from carpet to crayons. Only 1 percent of corn production in the United States is dedicated to sweet corn -- find out what the other 99 percent is used for!

Farm at the Arb, enter through the Arboretum's main gatehouse entrance

Included with gate admission; gate admission is free for members, $15 for non-members ages 16 and older; free for children 15 and younger.

Learn more at

Corn is Everywhere - LINK COMING SOON


frozen ice bubble, photo Mike Shaw

Family Program: Create & Photograph Frozen Ice Bubbles at Sunrise!

Saturday, January 22, 7:00-9:00 a.m.
Dr. Mike Shaw, acclaimed Astrophotographer, Author of "The Complete Guide to Landscape Astrophotography" and "Creative Nightscapes"

Level: Family / beginner
Ice bubbles have the greatest chance of success during a brisk winter morning, so set your alarms--we've arranged special "early access" to the Arboretum for this class! Join this fun, family-friendly indoor/outdoor class to learn how to create and photograph frozen ice bubbles at the Landscape Arboretum! Family teams of 1-2 adults together with 1-3 kids learn and practice this cool skill!

Family Teams $40 member/$55 non-member, includes 1-2 Adults + 1-3 Kids ages 5 and above, includes Arboretum admission and all bubble-making supplies

Learn more & register at

Photography Classes


Get an email notification when new classes are added!
Subscribe here (select Kids Programs > Kids & Family Programs) to receive an email notification when new classes are added

Questions?
Arboretum Education Office
Mon - Fri, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.*
arbedu@umn.edu
612-301-1210*
*We are temporarily working from home, we may return phone messages from a home phone 

Cancellations & Exchanges
Cancellation policy

Waitlist
The best chance of being enrolled in a sold out class is to add your name to the waitlist. Click the orange "waitlist" button next to the class and complete the form. There is no obligation to register if a spot opens. If the waitlist shows enough demand, additional sessions may be added.

Email Subscriptions
Subscribe here to join Arboretum mailing lists that interest you, and be among the first to know about what's happening at the Arb!

Share your feedback
Use this feedback form to share anonymous feedback about educational programming with the Arboretum Education Team.

Browse Classes
Youth & Families

Youth+Adult Together
Family Programs

Summer Programs
Summer Day Camps

Schools & Homeschools
School Programs

Adults

Online Learning
All online Programs & Classes

Gardening & Horticulture
Gardening
ProHort 2022

Fine Art & Crafts
Book Club & Literature
Creative Aging
Fiber Arts
Open Art Studio 
Mixed Media
Painting & Drawing
Stone Balancing

Photography
Photography
Photo Night: Winter Lights

Food & Wine
Cooking

Nature Appreciation
Birds
Trees
P
ollinators

Nature-Based Therapeutics
About Nature-Based Therapeutics
NBT Programs & Events


 

About Arboretum Education
Instructor Bios
Arboretum Staff Bios
Education Department Statistics