Counselor-in-Training Program 2019
(ages 12 - 15)
||Counselor-in-Training Program (ages 12 - 15)
Do you have a passion for nature, gardening, and creative play? Enjoy being a role model for younger children and like to get your hands in the dirt? The Arboretum's Counselor-In-Training program may be the perfect fit for you! Share your skills and bring your imagination and creativity to the Arboretum--join the fun as we play, garden, create, explore and learn together!
The Counselor-in-Training (CIT) program is designed to provide opportunities for responsible, positive youth mentors to increase leadership skills by sharing a passion, knowledge and enthusiasm for the natural world with younger campers and gardeners. CITs will assist Day Camp, Children's Garden, and/or PeaPods program staff in providing a safe, supportive, and exciting experience for all participants, as well as helping out with other projects.
Top 10 Benefits of being a Counselor-in-Training (CIT)
- Gain valuable experience while doing something meaningful this summer
- Take advantage of resume-building opportunities while serving as a role model, mentor, and teaching assistant in the Arboretum's summer programs
- Share your passion for science, gardens, and the outdoors, with younger kids
- Develop useful life skills in leadership and time-management
- Meet new friends
- Log volunteer hours and give back to the community
- Receive first-aid instruction and other training that can be applied to future job/volunteer opportunities
- Work with caring adult mentors
- Be a valuable part of a fun, supportive, creative team
- Have FUN!!
||Applications are closed for 2019.
||SAVE THE DATE!!
Approved applicants must attend a mandatory one-day CIT orientation on
Monday, June 10, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Attending this session is a mandatory requirement to become an Arboretum CIT.
or email: ArbEdu@umn.edu
Summer Youth Program FAQs & Forms
|Give the Gift of an Arboretum Educational Experience
Join the experience-giving trend this holiday season...your thoughtfulness will not only benefit the recipient, but will benefit the Arboretum, too! Learn more
Request a catalog in the mail
- Subscribe here to opt-in to your choice of Arboretum Education email alerts. You'll only receive emails on the topics you select, so you can keep your inbox interesting and relevant to you! (Every email contains easy instructions for opting out at any time.)
Arboretum Education Office Hours
Mon - Fri, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sat - Sun, noon - 4 p.m.
Email Arboretum Education at
Call Arboretum Education at
Arboretum Members may invite non-members to attend a class with them at the discounted member rate! Simply register for all participants at the same time in the same order and select the "member" rate for each person at checkout.
Prior to registering, please review the cancellation policy
The best chance of being enrolled in a sold out class is to add your name to the waitlist. Click the orange "waitlist" button and complete the steps, or call 612-301-1210. There is no obligation to register if a spot opens. If the waitlist shows enough demand, additional class sessions may be added.
Program Quick Links
FREE & LOW COST
Q&A at the Yard & Garden Desk
YOUTH & FAMILIES
Youth+Adult Together Programs
Ages 3-5 with adult
Ages 5-12 with adult
Gardening & Horticulture Classes
Gardening - General
Landscape & Design
Floral & Botanical Crafts
Schoolyard Gardens Conference
Pollinators - Misc
Fine Art & Crafts Classes
Painting & Drawing
Floral & Botanical Crafts
Jewelry & Wearable Art
Stone Balancing & Sculpture
Open Art Studio
Special Access Experiences
Food & Wine Classes
Dine with a Chef
Garden-to-Plate Workshop Day
Signature Guided Walks
Education Department Statistics
Share your feedback
Your opinions are important!
The Arboretum strives to create classes that are relevant, useful and provide value. Use this form to share anonymous feedback about educational programming with the Arboretum Education Team.