photo: Michael Borg
Shinrin-yoku at the Arboretum
Tom Bezek, trained Nature Therapy guide with the Association of Nature and Forest Therapy
Ages 16 and older
Enjoy the tranquility and well-being of Shinrin-yoku (translation: 'Forest Bathing'), a Japanese mindfulness practice that invites nature to be your healer:
- Learn through guided awareness exercises
- Discover how the process can awaken your senses and calm your mind
- Leave feeling refreshed and encouraged to try shinrin yoku again!
Please watch this 2-minute video prior to registering in order to gain a better understanding of what to expect from a session of shinrin-yoku at the Arboretum.
- Sessions of Shinrin-yoku at the Arboretum will not necessarily take place in a forest--this meditative practice can take place anywhere in nature.
- Arboretum location will be chosen at instructor's discretion The Arboretum is a public place; solitude from other visitors is not expected nor guaranteed.
- Shinrin-yoku walks celebrate all aspects of nature and will run rain or shine unless the conditions are deemed too dangerous by the Arboretum.
- Please dress appropriately for the weather.
- Be prepared for possible sun burn, insect bites, or allergy conditions. Where appropriate please bring necessary repellents, protection, and medications.
Shinrin-yoku does not serve as a substitute for professional medical advice, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Sessions of Shinrin-yoku at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum do not engage in the practice of medicine, nor enter into a health-care practitioner/patient relationship. Please discuss your personal health with a qualified health practitioner.
Limit 12, Ordway Picnic Shelter
|Shinrin yoku has ended for the 2019 season. Subscribe to receive updates when new sessions are added for 2020!
Subscribe here and select "Guided Walks & Nature Appreciation"
See more information on other Guided Public Arboretum tours.
|Give the Gift of an Arboretum Educational Experience
Join the experience-giving trend this holiday season...your thoughtfulness will not only benefit the recipient, but will benefit the Arboretum, too! Learn more
Request a catalog in the mail
- Subscribe here to opt-in to your choice of Arboretum Education email alerts. You'll only receive emails on the topics you select, so you can keep your inbox interesting and relevant to you! (Every email contains easy instructions for opting out at any time.)
Arboretum Education Office Hours
Mon - Fri, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sat - Sun, noon - 4 p.m.
Email Arboretum Education at
Call Arboretum Education at
Arboretum Members may invite non-members to attend a class with them at the discounted member rate! Simply register for all participants at the same time in the same order and select the "member" rate for each person at checkout.
Prior to registering, please review the cancellation policy
The best chance of being enrolled in a sold out class is to add your name to the waitlist. Click the orange "waitlist" button and complete the steps, or call 612-301-1210. There is no obligation to register if a spot opens. If the waitlist shows enough demand, additional class sessions may be added.
Program Quick Links
FREE & LOW COST
Q&A at the Yard & Garden Desk
YOUTH & FAMILIES
Youth+Adult Together Programs
Ages 3-5 with adult
Ages 5-12 with adult
Gardening & Horticulture Classes
Gardening - General
Landscape & Design
Floral & Botanical Crafts
Pollinators - Misc
Fine Art & Crafts Classes
Painting & Drawing
Floral & Botanical Crafts
Jewelry & Wearable Art
Stone Balancing & Sculpture
Open Art Studio
Special Access Experiences
Food & Wine Classes
Dine with a Chef
Signature Guided Walks
Education Department Statistics
Share your feedback
Your opinions are important!
The Arboretum strives to create classes that are relevant, useful and provide value. Use this form to share anonymous feedback about educational programming with the Arboretum Education Team.