2019 Arboretum Summer Day Camps
Day Camp CITs will share skills, imagination, creativity, and passion for nature while being a role model to the younger campers. CITs will assist Day Camp program staff in providing a safe, supportive and exciting experience for all participants, as well as helping out with set-up and clean-up duties.
- Be at least 12 years old as of May 1, 2019
- Demonstrate the ability to follow directions and work well with others
- Love nature exploration and being out-of-doors in all types of weather
- Enjoy working with younger kids
- Show a positive attitude
- Be willing to contribute ideas and work on many different projects
Responsibilities and expectations
CITs will be expected to:
- Attend the mandatory one-day CIT orientation on Monday, June 10, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Create a welcoming environment by building relationships with campers
- Assist camp leaders to manage groups of campers in positive ways
- Model appropriate behavior to promote a safe camp environment for all
- Readily participate and show enthusiasm and a great attitude during all activities
- Lead games and other activities during transition times
- Assist camp leaders in daily set-up and clean-up
- Take photographs of campers and camp activities
- Be an Arboretum Ambassador and demonstrate professionalism to all visitors
- Refrain from any device usage during camp times
The Day Camp CIT program is very flexible, and many opportunities are available to fit families' busy summer schedules. In an effort to provide a consistent experience for campers
- Day Camp CITs are asked to sign up for a week (M-Th) at a time.
- There are half day camp offerings from 9-noon and 1-4pm each week, as well as a full day options with a lunch time in between.
- "Friday Favorites" are one day mini-camps that run from 9-noon, and are a one day commitment only.
- CITs will be expected to arrive ½ hour before children arrive to help set up the day's activities and will be expected to stay ½ hour after children are scheduled to leave to help with clean-up.
- Please refer to the Day Camp webpage http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/DayCamp.aspx for descriptions, times and dates for all camps.
- Once successful applicants are chosen, CITs will submit the dates and camps that match their schedules and interests, and from there the program coordinator will put a master schedule together
- CITs must attend the mandatory one-day CIT orientation on Monday, June 10, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Please call or email Malia Brandt for more information:
Thanks for your interest in becoming a Day Camp CIT!
Summer Youth Program FAQs & Forms
|Give the Gift of an Arboretum Educational Experience
Join the experience-giving trend this holiday season...your thoughtfulness will not only benefit the recipient, but will benefit the Arboretum, too! Learn more
Request a catalog in the mail
- Subscribe here to opt-in to your choice of Arboretum Education email alerts. You'll only receive emails on the topics you select, so you can keep your inbox interesting and relevant to you! (Every email contains easy instructions for opting out at any time.)
Arboretum Education Office Hours
Mon - Fri, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sat - Sun, noon - 4 p.m.
Email Arboretum Education at
Call Arboretum Education at
Arboretum Members may invite non-members to attend a class with them at the discounted member rate! Simply register for all participants at the same time in the same order and select the "member" rate for each person at checkout.
Prior to registering, please review the cancellation policy
The best chance of being enrolled in a sold out class is to add your name to the waitlist. Click the orange "waitlist" button and complete the steps, or call 612-301-1210. There is no obligation to register if a spot opens. If the waitlist shows enough demand, additional class sessions may be added.
Program Quick Links
FREE & LOW COST
Q&A at the Yard & Garden Desk
YOUTH & FAMILIES
Youth+Adult Together Programs
Ages 3-5 with adult
Ages 5-12 with adult
Gardening & Horticulture Classes
Gardening - General
Landscape & Design
Floral & Botanical Crafts
Schoolyard Gardens Conference
Pollinators - Misc
Fine Art & Crafts Classes
Painting & Drawing
Floral & Botanical Crafts
Jewelry & Wearable Art
Stone Balancing & Sculpture
Open Art Studio
Special Access Experiences
Food & Wine Classes
Dine with a Chef
Garden-to-Plate Workshop Day
Signature Guided Walks
Education Department Statistics
Share your feedback
Your opinions are important!
The Arboretum strives to create classes that are relevant, useful and provide value. Use this form to share anonymous feedback about educational programming with the Arboretum Education Team.