Nature-Based Therapeutics (NBT):
Nature's Way of Healing
Connection to nature is essential to human health and wellbeing.
- Nature teaches us balance. Everything works better with nature in our lives - interactions with nature, including animals, provide a non-threatening focus and exert a calming effect on humans.
- Nature provides us meaning. Spending time with nature nurtures us - humans are instinctively attracted to nature (E.O. Wilson's Biophilia Hypothesis). This natural connection nourishes us internally and in relationships with others and our community.
- Nature gives us life. Activities in nature support the whole person - nature and animals improve and promote health on a physical, psychological, social, cognitive and spiritual level.
Nature-Based Therapeutics (NBT) is a facilitated interaction with plants, animals and natural landscapes to bring about measurable outcomes.
NBT is an active partnership with nature to improve and/or promote health and wellbeing.
Through the new NBT program, we seek to:
- Change consumer lifestyle choices
- Impact human environments
- Influence community policy and services
- Integrate self-care into healthcare
To regain our humanity we need to regain our experience of connectedness with the entire web of life.
~ Fritjof Capra, "Web of Life", p.296
Stay up-to-date on all NBT developments, workshops, services and special projects by signing up for the quarterly eNewsletter. Read instructions here.