Colors of Nature...and Joy
Live Holiday Music, Lighting of the Trees, Breakfast and Photos with Santa & More!
The glow of the holidays add a special brightness to the Arboretum indoors and out. An outdoor holiday lights display welcomes from the moment visitors enter on Alkire Drive. With LED lights, up-lighted hoops, and even a snow creature to show the way, the gatehouse takes on a festive air.
Take in the enchanting displays of outdoor lights, installed in nearby gardens and entrances, all within close proximity of accessible viewing areas. Open special hours on Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays, Nov. 24-Jan. 1, from 5-8 p.m. Additional hours Tuesday through Thursday Dec. 26, 27 & 28, 5-8 p.m. Free to members/$15 gate admission for non-members.
Many thanks to Holiday Decor Community Partners:
FREE EVENTS (with paid gate admission)
Outdoor Lights Displays
Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays, Nov. 24-Jan. 1, 5-8 p.m.
Tuesday through Thursday Dec. 26, 27 & 28 5-8 p.m.
Seven themed displays of outdoor lights greet visitors from the minute they drive onto the grounds. Hot chocolate, cookies, S'mores, (outdoors) and beer and wine available for purchase.
- Jingle All the Way, Entry and Gatehouse
- Polar Pond, at flagpole outside Snyder Building
- Winter Wonderland, Dahlberg Terrace, outside Gift Store entrance
- Festive Farmstead, near Picnic Shelters
- Snowball Terrace, at Morgan Terrace behind Snyder Building
- Frozen Forest, viewed from Newton Terrace, outside Cafe
- Light display by Trista Lights on Snyder Tea Room terrace
Live Holiday Music
Enjoy live musical performances of holiday favorites by talented local chiors, instrumental groups and more!
- Saturday, Nov. 25, Minnesota Chorale, 1-2:30 p.m.
- Sunday, Nov. 26, Westwind Big Band, 1-2:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 2, Festive Flute Loops, 1-2:30 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 3, The Silverwinds Flutes, 1:30-3 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 9, Messiah Sing Along, 2:30-4 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 9, The Holiday Singers, 5-6 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 10, Waconia Suzuki Ensemble, 1-2 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 10, Irish Christmas Music, 2-2:45 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 16, The Prairie Brass Quintet, 1:30-3 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 17, Partners in Praise Girls Chior, 1:30-3p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 23, Jazz on the Prarie Big Band, 1:30-3 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 30, Just One More! 1-3:30 p.m.
(All performances are free with gate admission)
Auxiliary Holiday Sale
- Friday, Dec. 1, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 2, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 3, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
Kick off the holiday season with gorgeous gifts handmade by Auxiliary volunteers. Knit wearing apparel, felted ornaments, potpourri, gifts for a favorite pet, holiday arrangements and wreaths, plus creative greeting cards. All proceeds benefit the Arboretum.
Photos With Santa
Saturday, Dec. 2, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 9, 1-4 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 16, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m.
Carlson Dining Room
Bring the family for photos with the Jolly Old Elf! A variety of options and price packages available.
Pet Photos With Santa
Sunday, Dec. 10, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Snyder Building Tea Room
Photos With Santa sponsored by:
Herb Society Winter Sale
- Saturday, Dec. 2, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. &
- Sunday, Dec. 3, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Oswald Visitor Center Balcony
Shop for handmade herbal gifts--from potpourri to lotion to herb vinegar--crafted by Minnesota Herb Society members. Cash or check only, credit cards not accepted.
Gift & Garden Store Meet the Author & Book Signings
Sunday, Dec. 3, 1-3 p.m.
Arboretum naturalist Matt Schuth's long-awaited new book, "Nature at Our Doorstep". The author will be on hand doing book signings and sharing the vast knowledge he has gathered observing plants, birds, mammal and other natural phenomena throughout the years.
Saturday, Dec. 9, 1-3 p.m.
Professor Mary Meyer's new book, "Ten Plants that Changed Minnesota". Plants both beneficial and invasive that changed the plant landscape in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
Saturday, Dec. 16, 1-3 p.m.
Arboretum Director of Operations Alan Branhagen's new book, "Native Plants of the Midwest--A Comprehensive Guide to the Best 500 Species for the Garden". Information about selecting the best plants for Midwest gardens.
Winter Gift Market
Saturday, Dec. 16, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
MacMillan Auditorium, Snyder Building Auditorium and Tea Room
Finish or start your holiday shopping at the Winter Gift Market. You'll find unique and one-of-a-kind gifts made by local artisans. There'll be a great mix of Arboretum favorites and new artisans to discover.
ONGOING EVENTS AND EXHIBITS
Every Saturday & Sunday, Noon-4 p.m. (drop-in basis), Learning Center. December theme: "Winter Wonderland."Enjoy the frozen beauty of colorful winter berries, bare branches, evergreen, snow and ice in the Arboretum's winter landscape. Look for the hardy non-migratory birds that remain in Minnesota al winter long. Discover which plants you cn grom to provide winter food and shlter for wildlife. Create a nourishing natural seed ornament to feed the birds outside your window. Free with gate. More Information.
Art at the Arboretum
- "Arboretum Instructor Show," showing through Jan. 4, Reedy Gallery. Professional artists who are instructors for Arboretum art classes. Including painting drawing, mixed media, encaustic, fiber and photography. More Information.
- "Finding Peace in Nature" now through Nov. 26, Cafe Gallery. Nature is filled with strength, resilience, beauty and mystery. Through these works, many on large canvases, the viewer becomes immersed in the nourishing aspects of nature. Taylor Moran, a recent fine arts graduate, is paired with Ken Pavett who has been practicing his art for decades. More Information.
- "The Artists of Carver County Consortium" Nov. 30, 2017-Jan.7, 2018, Cafe Gallery. Supporting local has become commonplace regarding food, why not art too! Showcasing talent in our own backyard. A variety of mediums. More Information.
Make the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum your holiday destination! For more details on any of the above events, check the website at www.arboretum.umn.edu or call 952-443-1400.
Especially for Members: Double Discount Days
Friday, Nov. 24 - Sunday, Dec. 3
Gift & Garden Store
Arboretum members qualify for a 20-percent discount on all regularly priced merchandise (double the usual member discount). Just show your member card at the cash register. Excludes clearance items.
Holiday Teas--SOLD OUT!!
Arboretum Holiday Teas
Wednesdays & Thursdays, 2:30-4 p.m.
Nov. 29 & 30, Dec. 6 & 7, 13 & 14 and 20 & 21
$29 member/$33 non-member
Gather a group of family and friends and create a holiday tradition this year with the Arboretum's Holiday Teas in the beautifully decorated, historical Snyder Building Tea Room. Twinkling with sparkling lights and greenery, the room will be dressed for the holidays.
A four-course menu features a demitasse of house-made soup, a selection of prepared finger sandwiches, warm quiche and profiteroles, scones with clotted cream, fresh baked mini-pastries, chocolate truffles and a selection of specialty teas.
Price includes gate admission.
Reservations are required. Holiday tea is recommended for guests 10 and older. For questions or to make reservations, please contact 612-301-7602.
If guests are planning to be seated with a group of friends and are making individual reservations, let the catering manager know when calling. No refunds.
Additional tea service dates can be added for groups and holiday parties, ask the catering manager for options.
Lighting of the Great Hall and Trees
Thursday, Nov. 30, 5:30-8 p.m.
$10 member/$20 non-member, $5 children (ages 3-15)
Great Hall, Visitor Center
A special holiday indoor light display event:
- Lighting the star atop the Poinsettia Tree, 6:30 p.m.
Sponsor: Wagner Greenhouses
- Great Hall live evergreen tree and decor light-up
- Arbor Bells quartet, 6 & 7 p.m.
- Holiday ornament-making activity
- A Cup of Warmth and Inspiration: complimentary hot cocoa, hot cider and cookies. Plus s'mores available for purchase outdoors!
- Cash bar: Beer and wine
Register at arboretum.umn.edu/treelighting.aspx
Wine and the Art of Floral Design: Holiday Wreath Making
Thursday, December 7, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Come to the Arboretum to create a show-stopping holiday wreath and sample local wines! You will begin with a quick introduction to local wines, then sip and snack as Nina and Channing instruct you in how to prep the foliage and elements for the wreath, wreath construction techniques, and how to use unique natural elements for holiday decor beyond pinecones and holly. Then it’s time to begin creating your masterpiece from silvery materials such as fir, cotton bolls, lunaria and snow berries. You will go home with a beautiful creation perfect for welcoming holiday visitors, and the skills needed to make more wreaths in the future. A fun annual tradition!
Breakfast And Photos With Santa
Saturday, Dec. 9, 9 a.m.-noon
Adults ages 16+ $26; Children ages 4-15 $20; Kids 3 and under are free
Bring the family to enjoy a delightful breakfast with the Joll Old Elf himself! Santa will also be available for photos, with a variety of options and price packages available. Reserve at: arboretum.umn.edu/santaatthearb2017
Photos With Santa sponsored by:
Silver Snowflakes: Creating Silver Jewelry Sustainably
Saturday, December 9, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
A great holiday gift or to make for yourself...create a stunning pure silver snowflake that will outlast the cold! In this class you will design snowflake-inspired jewelry in metal clay. Students will learn how to set gemstones to add a little extra sparkle and shine to their pieces. Enough clay will be provided to create a pendant and earrings set or several pendants. Although it looks like clay, students will be working with pure silver--Art Clay Silver is an amazingly flexible medium that can be used like clay, but once fired becomes 99.9% pure silver--it is an eco-friendly product made entirely from reclaimed silver from discarded computers, medical instruments and photography supplies! Small class size ensures plenty of fun and one-on-one instructor attention. Pieces will be fired after class and available for pickup at the Arboretum within 1 week. No experience is necessary and all supplies will be included. $89 member/$111 non-member. Call 612-301-1210 or register online here.
Walks with Matt: The Arboretum on Ice
Saturday, Dec. 23, 10 a.m. - noon
Naturalist Matt Schuth will begin with a show-and-tell about winter flora and fauna, then lead guests outdoors to see them in their winter form.$14 member/$26 non-member, includes Arboretum admission. Call 612-301-1210 or register online here
New Year's Eve Day Guided Walking Treks
Celebrate New Year's Eve Sunday, Dec. 31 with Daytime Trail Adventures!
- Early Birding, 10-11 a.m., $10 members/$20 non-members
Your guide: Matt Schuth, Naturalist
- Winter Landscapes, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., $10 members/$20 non-members
Your guide: Alan Branhagen, Arboretum Director of Operations
- Snowshoeing or Hiking to the Bee Center, 1-2 p.m., $10 member/$20 non-member
Your guides: Arboretum Staff
Register at arboretum.umn.edu/nyetreks.aspx