Free public tours. Enjoy a free docent led "Arboretum Seasonal Highlights" walking tour focusing seasonal blooms in the Walking Area Gardens at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday through Friday, and at 1 p.m. Saturday & Sunday, May 1 - mid October. Arboretum Highlight tours convey the essence of the Arboretum's mission and work. Departs from the Great Hall, Oswald Visitor Center.
NEW for 2013! Free, drop-in tour/hike options staffed by knowledgeable Arboretum Guides.
- WOW! Spots: Tuesdays & Thursdays, May 14-Sept 26, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Discovery stops at gardens in their peak bloom. May: Ladyslippers & Wildflowers. June: Peonies, Perennials, Roses. July: Japanese Garden. August: Fruit & Vegetable Garden. September: Annual Garden.
- Let's Ramble! For Families: Saturdays, June-August, 11 a.m.-noon. Guided hike for young families, starting at the Visitor Center and ending at the Green Play Yard.
- Herbs All Summer: Wednesdays, July & August, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Visit the Kitchen Herb Garden for tips on growing, harvesting and using fresh herbs in your cooking.
Tram Tours. Come on board the Arboretum Trumpet Creeper Tram for a narrated tour of the 1,100+ acres of gardens and woodlands highlighting the many collections, display gardens and demonstration gardens. The tram accommodates 42 people with one wheelchair space.
Tram tours are offered the following days/times from May through October:
- Mondays at noon, 1:30 and 3 p.m.
- Tues.-Sun. at 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30, 3 p.m.
The cost for the tram ride is $3, with children 2 and under free. Tickets are for sale at the Oswald Visitor Center on a first come, first serve basis.
Winter Bus Tours. From January 17 to April 13, 2013, a Winter Wonders Bus Tour will explore plants in winter form, winter wildlife and preview the new Sculpture Garden. Available Thursdays & Saturdays, noon & 2 p.m. for an hour and 15 minute ride. The bus accommodates 24 people. The cost for the bus ride is $3, with children 2 and under free. Tickets are for sale at the Oswald Visitor Center on a first come, first serve basis. We regret the Arboretum bus lacks a chair lift; winter tours are not currently wheelchair accessible.
Group Tour Packages. Special tour packages, including food options and educational enrichment add-ons, are available for groups of 15 or more. See Group Tour Packages
Arboretum Explorations. Spend a few hours with a leading Arboretum expert to discover what plants are unfurling and blooming and which creatures are coming and going throughout the Arboretum. Enroll in one or several of these "classes on the move" to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of the seasonal changes in this unique setting. Instructors include acclaimed landscape gardener Richard Gjertson and wildlife expert Matt Schuth. Bring your binoculars and a willingness to savor the wonders of the flora and fauna. See class offerings.