The Arboretum offers the following job openings. To apply, please visit the U of M employment page, click "search postings" and enter the requisition number of the job listed below. Applicants must complete the University's on-line application form and, if required, submit any additional documents listed on the job posting with the application. For further information about open positions, please contact our Human Resources office at 612-301-7724.
If you are interested in applying for an occasional temporary position, please download form.
—Building and Grounds Assistant/ Event Setup
4 positions available.This position is a Casual appointment (not to exceed an average of 14 hours per week), responsible for setting up meeting rooms & outdoor spaces for Facility Rental clients (Internal & External Clients) and for routine building and grounds maintenance. This position will respond quickly to a wide variety of guest service, infrastructure and event related issues including A/V problems, spills, requests for furniture, unloading vehicles and related issues. This is primarily a weekend position but could include weekdays.Team Members will work as scheduled to ensure proper set ups and AV trouble shooting. This position will requires attention to detail, and ability to follow direction quickly & efficiently.
70% Clean buildings and set-up rooms for meetings and events.
Clean buildings as needed including sweeping floors, washing windows, emptying trash and recycling, and cleaning up spills and litter.
Clean restrooms and keep supplies filled at all time.
Shovel snow, spread sand or salt and sweep walks and terraces to keep surfaces safe and clean.
Assist with maintenance of terrace gardens, pools and containers if time allows.
30% Event support functions.
Review Event Orders (EO's) at the beginning of each shift to ensure rooms are set as contracted. Confirm and setup A/V equipment needs to contract for the event. Move tables, bring extra chairs, set-up and troubleshoot AV equipment, etc.
Respond to requests from the Events Coordinator, Receptionist, Educational Program Managers and others
Open rooms for use adjusting lights, sound volumes, and temperature as needed for each room before guests arrive. Alert Reservations Staff if any discrepancies from the actual set up vs the Event Orders.
Be in communication with the lead catering staff regarding any special needs including removal of tables from dance floors. Make adjustments as needed and relay pertinent information to the appropriate personnel. Maintain high standards of safety and cleanliness in all areas of the Meeting Rooms & Event Spaces.
If no upcoming events, please have rooms in a readiness position for any possible site tours. Ensure that meeting rooms are re-set for next event contract if it is within one to two days of previous event.
- A MN driver's license.
- The ability to lift up to 50 pounds, frequent standing, walking, sitting, and climbing ladders up to 6 feet tall.
- Demonstrated ability to work and interact cooperatively in a positive and respectful manner with other employees, members and visitors.
- Successful completion of a background check.
To apply: complete a TACE application dn forward to Laura Boerbon
—Annual Giving and Memorial Support Specialist
This position has the responsibility of processing all gifts and memorials received from the Arboretum donor base, management of the donor data in Raisers Edge, coordination of memorial/honor family notifications and overseeing and participating in the arrangement of events for the Development Department of the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.
- High School Diploma/GED and two (2) years of related office and administrative experience. Training/education may be substituted for up to one (1) year of experience.
- Computer experience required with proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Access.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Familiarity with Raisers Edge software.
- Very strong interpersonal and customer service skills both in person and over phone.
- Fund raising experience in non-profit setting a plus.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is critical.
- Self starter and ability to work with minimal supervision in a team environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and use good judgment in prioritizing.
* This position is represented by AFSCME Clerical Bargaining Unit. Dues or Fair Share deductions will be made. *
To Apply: Apply online at: http://employment.umn.edu (search for Requisition #193813). All applicants must apply through the University of Minnesota on-line application process. Please complete the staff application and provide a detailed work history. You may also attach a resume, cover letter and list of references, but are not required.
—Temporary Laborer - Horticultural Research Center
The position is responsible for maintaining apple trees and other fruit plants from greenhouse to research nurseries and orchards at the Horticultural Research Center.
To apply: Please complete a Temporary Casual application located at: http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/employmentopportunities.aspx. Mail or email to Laura Boerbon, HR Manager, University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, 3675 Arboretum Drive, Chaska, MN 55318 or firstname.lastname@example.org..
—Apple house Cashiers
Number of positions available: 3 This position, located at the Horticultural Research Center in Chanhassen, MN, is responsible for providing cashiering and world class customer Service to the Arboretum Applehouse clientele; Stocking apples, produce and gift items. Using forklift; Light housekeeping; Inventory control; Daily sales reconciliation; Opening and closing cash register.
- Good organizational skills.
- Must be punctual.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds for extended periods of time.
- Schedule will vary and may include evenings and weekends.
- Previous cashier, customer service and sales experience.
To apply: Please complete a Temporary Casual application located at: http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/employmentopportunities.aspx . Mail or email to Patti Mirabelli, Giftstore and Applehouse Manager, University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, 3675 Arboretum Drive, Chaska, MN 55318 or mirab006umn.edu.
—Director of Retail Operations and Visitor Services
This position will be responsible for providing leadership and guidance for, and development and implementation of the Retail Services departments and budgets including marketing; gift shop; applehouse; visitor services; events; café; gatehouse; exhibits; and room rental areas producing net income to fund Arboretum-wide operations. Develop strategic and operational plans to increase earned revenue to support the Arboretum. Assist Arboretum Director as part of the senior management team with: formulation of internal policies; evaluation of programs; planning and implementing new initiatives; responding to changing demands of Arboretum visitors and the general public; and increasing audiences, visitorship and earned revenue. Ensure world-class service in all areas.
This is an interdisciplinary position that draws upon various Arboretum staff and volunteers, including the MLA Foundation to contribute to increasing audiences, visitorship and revenue. This position must be able to coordinate actions plans to ensure coordination between participants. The Director of Visitor Services will be the lead to ensure staff focuses on ensuring positive interactions with all visitors and a commitment of staff to our institutional core values.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field with 10 years relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to increase multiple revenue streams through metric analyses, business plan use, and financial forecasting to project future financial and attendance results.
- Supervisory or managerial experience with demonstrated performance and leadership in customer service and visitor services areas.
- Excellent verbal and Written communications skills
- Ability to take leadership role to coordinate and work collaboratively with a diverse group in order to meet earned revenue goals.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Masters in Business Administration
- Marketing and Communications Experience
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and requests ensuring all goals are met
- Demonstrated ability coordinate actions plans to ensure coordination between participants, stakeholders and across departments and the organization as a whole.
- Previous experience in creating and delivering sales presentations are desirable.
- Previous experience in large scale fundraising event planning and coordination.
- Previous work in nonprofit organization is a plus.
To Apply: Apply online at: http://employment.umn.edu (search for Requisition # 192428). All applicants must register in the employment system, and attach cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you have problems uploading your application materials, please contact: Laura Boerbon at 612-301-7724 or email@example.com.
As an institution committed to demonstrating excellence through diversity, the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences and the University are committed to hiring a diverse faculty and staff, and strongly encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Finalists will be expected to address their commitment and experience in working with diverse populations during the interview process. We welcome you to visit our college's Diversity and Inclusion web page at: http://www.cfans.umn.edu/diversity/
—Horticulture: CLOSED for 2014 Applications.
About the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
As a premier pubic garden and cultural destination, and international horticultural research center, the Arboretum is a community resource that contributes to the horticultural, economic, and intellectual lives of Minnesotans and people all over the world. Named as one of the "10 great places to smell the flowers" by USA Today, the Arboretum boasts 21,000 members, 1,800 volunteers and more than 318,000 visitors annually. The Arboretum features 1,215 acres, 32 display and specialty gardens, 48 general plant collections and more than 5,000 plant species and varieties.
Founded more than 50 years ago, in 1958, the Arboretum is a part of the Department of Horticultural Science, in the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences at the University of Minnesota.
Located in Chanhassen, Minnesota, a western suburb of the Minneapolis/St Paul metropolitan area, the Arboretum is approximately 9 miles west of Interstate 494.The mission of the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum is to be a resource for horticultural and environmental information, research, and public education. To inspire and delight visitors with quality plants in well designed and maintained displays, collections, model landscapes, and conservation areas.
Applications for 2014 internships will be accepted until positions are filled.