Asian Noodle Salad
(originally printed in People magazine, Dec. 6, 2010)
-1/2 cup sliced almonds
-8 Tbsp. sesame seeds
-7 Tbsp. rice vinegar
-4 Tbsp. sugar
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. pepper
-1/2 cup canola oil
-16 oz. Coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage, red cabbage, carrots)
-2 pkgs. Ramen noodles (broken up, without the seasoning packet)
1. In a skillet over medium low to medium heat, toast almonds and
sesame seeds until light brown)
2. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk in oil.
3. In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix and Ramen noodles. Add contents of
small bowl and mix well. Toss in the almonds and seeds just before serving.
Sweet Cucumber and Radish Salad
(From in Gourmet Magazine Jan. 2008)
-1 large cucumber (1 lb)
-1 bunch radishes
-1/4 cup cider vinegar
-1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
-1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Peel cucumber, then halve lengthwise and slice crosswise 1/4-inch thick.
Cut each radish lengthwise into 8 wedges.
2. Bring sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper to boil, stirring until sugar has
dissolved, then stir in oil.
3. Pour hot dressing over cucumbers and radishes in a bowl, stir, then let stand
10 minutes. Stir and season with salt before serving.