For Immediate Release Media Contact: Barb DeGroot, 952-443-1459
'Summer in Motion' at the Arboretum:
Gophers in the Gardens, Outdoor Music & More
Chanhassen, MN (May 15, 2013) - Gallivanting gophers, live music, yoga gatherings, outdoor family movies and garden open houses. It's all part of "Summer in Motion" at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, a celebration of the University of Minnesota, state pride and beautiful gardens, beginning June 1 and continuing through Aug. 31. Presenting sponsor is the Minnesota Corn Growers Association.
A special highlight will be Gophers in the Garden, a series of 10 Goldy Gopher statues - each one nearly 5 feet tall and uniquely designed - gracing Arboretum gardens and collections. See if you can find them all! (And catch a few of the artists painting their statues on site May 22-28 in the Margot Picnic Shelters.)
Don't miss the fun-filled Opening Day - Saturday, June 1. Here's what's on tap:
- 10 a.m.-noon: Open House in the Dayton Wildflower Garden. Meet the gardeners.
- noon- 1 p.m.: Gophers in the Gardens exhibit ribbon-cutting with Arboretum Director Ed Schneider, Goldy Gopher and members of the U of M Marching Band Fraternity. Plus recognition of generous sponsors and donors.
- 1-2 p.m.: Walking tours of the Gophers in the Gardens exhibit, & photo ops with Goldy Gopher!
In addition to the gopher invasion, "Summer in Motion" will include live music and outdoor screenings of family movies with a Minnesota angle ("Little Big League," June 13; "Mighty Ducks," July 11; and "Miracle," Aug. 8). Also scheduled are yoga in the gardens and garden "open houses," learning opportunities with plant experts and gardeners, plus indoor exhibits on the history of the U of M Goldy Gopher mascot and U of M northern-hardy plant introductions.
The "Gophers in the Gardens" will provide a dose of fun and whimsy for visitors, while also highlighting the Arboretum's educational mission as part of the university - to serve as a public resource for horticultural and environmental information. Summer in Motion continues through Aug. 31
Music in the Gardens lineup for June. (July-August lineup coming soon.)
- Sunday, June 2: SlovCzech folk rock, 1-3 p.m., Trex Deck
- Thursday, June 13: F Sharp keyboard duo, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Sensory Garden.
- Sunday, June 23: Dragonfly folk pop singers, 1-3 p.m., Trex Deck.
- Thursday, June 27: Will & Stymie guitar duo, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Sensory Garden.
June Garden Open Houses (July-August open houses announced later.)
- Saturday, June 1, 10am-Noon - Wildflower Garden
- Thursday, June 6, 4 -6pm - Iris Garden
- Saturday, June 15, 10am-Noon Nelson Shrub Rose Garden
"Summer in Motion" supporting sponsor is C.H. Robinson with additional support from Park Dental, Minnesota Soybean Research & Promotion Council and Wagner's greenhouses. More summer event details available at www.arboretum.umn.edu.
The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, the largest public garden in the Upper Midwest, is a community and national resource for horticultural and environmental information, research and public education. It is part of the University of Minnesota College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences & is located 9 miles west of I-494 on Highway 5 in Chanhassen. Admission: $12 adults; free for members & ages 12 and under.