For Immediate Release Media Contact: Barb DeGroot, 952-443-1459
Poinsettia Tree, Seed Sculptures, Jolly Old Elf & More!
Chanhassen, Minn. (Nov. 5, 2012) - The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum announces "Making Spirits Bright," a holiday season brimming with merriment, music and make-believe.
Running Nov. 23-Dec. 31, Making Spirits Bright will serve up delights for all the senses - including a 20-ft. poinsettia tree, whimsical seed sculptures in holiday themes, a life-sized candy-themed board game in the Arboretum Restaurant, a kids' holiday shop, and more. Oh, yes, and weekend visits with Santa Claus himself! Here's more details:
Holiday Live Music: To celebrate the season, talented local musical groups will perform traditional favorites and new tunes in the Great Hall (unless otherwise noted).
- Saturday, Nov. 24: Chanhassen Dinner Theatre's 'A Hometown Christmas Pageant' special sneak preview, 11 a.m.; Minnesota Chorale, 1:30-2 p.m. & 2:30-3 p.m. MacMillan Auditorium.
- Saturday, Dec. 1: Minnetonka Chamber Choir, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; Celebration Brass, 1-3 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 2: OVation choral group, 1:30-3 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 8: Minnetonka Choral Society, 11-11:30 a.m. and noon-12:30 p.m., Great Hall, and "Messiah" singalong, Minnetonka Chamber Orch. & Symphony Chorus, 2-4 p.m., MacMillan Auditorium.
- Sunday, Dec. 9: F Sharp Keyboard Duo of Gigi & Freya, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., and Dragonfly, a five-member folk/pop singing group, 1-3 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 15: Arbor Bells, 11:30 a.m., MacMillan Auditorium.
- Sunday, Dec. 16: Waconia Suzuki Violins, 2-3 p.m., MacMillan Auditorium.
- Saturday, Dec. 22: Minnesota Chorale, 11-11:30 a.m. & noon-12:30 p.m., MacMillan Auditorium
Visits with Santa
Youngsters can visit with the Jolly Old Elf and have their photo taken on weekends from Nov. 24-Dec. 23 from 10:30 a.m. to noon and 12:30 to 2 p.m. in the Arboretum's "candy-themed" restaurant.
Holiday Kids' Shop. Nov. 23 and weekends through the holidays. Hours: 11 a.m.-3 p.m. No grown-ups allowed!
Holiday Story Times. Seasonal storytimes in the Visitor Center Great Hall. Nov. 23 & weekends Nov. 24-Dec. 30, at 10 a .m. and 2 p.m.
Walks for the Curious. Winter Tree Wonders, Sat., Dec. 1, with gardener Richard Gjertson. Winter Wonderland Walk, Sat., Dec. 29, with naturalist Matt Schuth. 10 a.m.-noon. $5 -$12.
Traditional Holiday Teas. Nov. 24, 28-30, Dec. 1, 5-8, 12-22, 26-30. Time: 2:30-4 p.m. Snyder Building Tea Room. Share holiday joy at these formal teas. $26 member/ $29 non-member, plus tax. 612-626-3951 or www.arboretum.umn.edu/teatime.aspx.
Auxiliary Holiday Sale Preview Event, Thursday, Nov. 29, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Snyder Building. Sale preview with wine & hors d'oeuvres. $25. www.arboretum.umn.edu/auxiliary.aspx .
Holiday Sale Weekend. Nov. 30-Dec. 2. The Arb is shopper's paradise, when these sales are happening: Auxiliary Holiday Sale, (noon-3 p.m. Fri., 9-4 Sat & noon-5 Sun.), MN Herb Society Sale and Arb Photo & Art Students Sale (9-4 Sat. & 10-4 Sun.). (Plus the Arboretum Gift Store's Double-Discount Days for members: Nov. 23-Dec.2.)
Holiday Family Breakfast, Saturday, Dec. 8, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. $14.99 member/ $16.99 non-member. Children 10 and under, $6.99. MacMillan Auditorium.
Book-signings in the Gift Store. Stan Tekiela will sign copies of his nature books on Saturday, Dec. 15, from 1 to 3 p.m., and Jim Gilbert will sign copies of "Minnesota Outdoor Wonders" from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 9, and Saturday, Dec. 22, in the Arboretum Gift Store.
Holiday Gourmet Dinner. Friday, Dec. 14, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Appetizers and a festive multicourse holiday dinner with wine pairings. $65-$70. Reserve by calling 612-626-3951.
Holiday Cookie Decorating for Families. Saturday, Dec. 15, 10 a.m.-noon. Snyder Building.
Weekend Family Fun: Ginger & Spice. Saturdays and Sundays in December from noon to 4 p.m., Learning Center. Discover the plants that spice up the holiday season. Free with gate.
Arboretum Outdoors with Hoigaard's. Friday, Dec. 28, 11 a.m., 12:30 and 2 p.m. Oswald Visitor Center. Try snowshoeing, with equipment & instruction compliments of Hoigaard's.
Ar-BRR-etum. Saturday, Dec. 31. Free admission for skiers and snowshoers all day.
Make the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum your holiday destination! For more details on any of the above events, check the website at www.arboretum.umn.edu or call 952-443-1400.