Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
For a detailed agenda, click here.
I. Keynote Address
Fair Food: A Fundamental Right, An Essential Challenge - ORAN HESTERMAN, Ph.D., author of Fair Food: Growing a Healthy, Sustainable Food System for All, and inaugural president and chief executive officer of Fair Food Network.
II. Featured Presentations
Coming to Terms with the Food System: Producer, Processor, Distributor, and Consumer - MARGARET ADAMEK, Ph.D., Owner and Principal, Terra Soma, LLC
Deep Roots: One Entrepreneur's Food Journey - ROSE MCGEE, "The Sweet Potato Pie Lady," Owner, Deep Roots Gourmet Desserts (processing, distributing)
III. Eat Yourself Healthy Lunch
A Flavorful Story
Lunch was created especially for the summit by Chef BRENDA LANGTON to show how healthful choices can be made and created in a traditional commercial kitchen for hundreds of people and at a reasonable cost.
IV. A Conversation About Food
From Field to Plate, How Can the Food System Improve Our Lives?
• Cargill - JEFF DYKSTRA, Director, Partners in Food Solutions (processor, distributor)
• Frogtown Gardens - PATRICIA OHMANS, Coordinator (producer)
• Malt-O-Meal - DAVE McBEAIN, Vice President of Operations (processor)
• Sacred Heart Hospitals - RICK BECKLER, Director of Hospitality Services (distributor)
• Thousand Hills Cattle Company - TODD CHURCHILL, President (processor, distributor)
V. Afternoon Presentation and Discussion
A Look into the Future - What Can We Expect? What Can We Do?
• Grains for Health - LEN MARQUART, Ph.D., University of Minnesota Department of Food Science Nutrition,
• Home Grown Minneapolis - JUNE MATHIOWETZ, Coordinator
Moderated by MARGARET ADAMEK, Ph.D., Owner and Principal, Terra Soma, LLC
Now What? How Will YOU Participate in Change?
After the close of the summit, participants are invited to explore and enjoy the Arboretum.
National Center for Food Protection and Defense
University of Minnesota Extension
yumPower by HealthPartners
Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture
U of Minn. Food Industry Center
U of Minn. Obesity Prevention Center
U of Minn. Office for UMore Park Academic Initiatives
U of Minn. Regional Sustainable Development Partnerships
U of Minn. College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
Grains for Health Foundation
U of Minn. Institute on the Environment
U of Minn. Water Resources Center
If you are interested in endorsing this summit, click here for information.